Thursday 3 March 2011

Fundraising with Folksy!

This year I am trying to raise as much money as possible for the British Heart Foundation here's why - 12 and 1/2 years ago our world changed forever when our beautiful baby girl was born with Down's Syndrome and an associated major heart defect. Our baby had life-saving major open heart surgery at 16 weeks old. She is now 12 and well, although she may still need further surgery in the future. If it were not for the pioneering work the BHF carry out each year Gaby’s complex surgery would not have even been attempted. 
Every year the BHF funds vital research which enables pioneering surgery to be developed and carried out. This in turn gives babies like Gaby a much higher chance of surviving and going on to lead long lives. This is a charity that I really do care passionately about and with that in mind I set out on my fundraising crusade! 
First stop London! My lovely hubby and I were both thrilled to be accepted in the ballot for this year's London Marathon! We joined the BHF Heart Runners Team and have both been training hard....until disaster struck! A few weeks ago Justin injured his back at work and after several weeks rest he cannot run a single step without pain! We have therefore taken the decision to defer our places and run together in the 2012 London Marathon giving Justin the chance to fully recover. This has been really disappointing for us both and was a hard decision to make. The only good thing to come out of our disappointment is the fact that we now have a whole year to fundraise! :D
Next stop Folksy! I joined this wonderful community in Jan 2010 and have really enjoyed my time there so far. Not only have I had great success with sales in both of my shops, I have made some wonderful 'online' friends, made some fantastic purchases and received great advice, help and support in all areas of developing my business and also on a personal level. I recently posted my story and asked if anyone could help me in my fundraising efforts. As anyone who raises money for charity knows, it can be an uphill struggle in today's economic climate so I need all the help I can gather! 
The response to my post was nothing short of Amazing! 
No less than 39 fellow Folksters offered donations of money or their crafts or both! I was totally overwhelmed with the wonderful donations and messages of support and yesterday I held a sale at my house selling my jewellery, Phoenix cards, cupcakes and crafts from the 29 Folksters who sent me items! It was a great success and to date the total is just over £200! 




I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU to the following Ladies for either donations to my justgiving site or for sending me wonderful handcrafted items, many of which were made especially for the sale with a heart theme!
Julia @THECRAFTYBRIDE 
Lindsay@MARTHA MOO BEADS 
Marie@PUTTINGONTHECHARMS 
Caroline@REDMOON
Tracy@MADE4YOURBOOKS 
Margaret@FACETS 
Rachael@RACHAELSSPECIALLILBITS 
Claire@HEARTSANDCRAFTSUK 
Millie@MILD 
Lisa@INFINITIJEWELLERY  
Sam@PANTSANDPAPER 
Alison@BLUEFORESTJEWELLERY
Liz@THECRAFTYLITTLEBEADBOX 
Colleen@CLOVERJEWELS 
Jen@MISSBOHEMIA 
Joy@BEADEDBAZAAR 
Sarah@THEDOTTERYPOTTER
Susan@DOTTIEDESIGNS
Angela@TAITGALLERY
Eilidah@SILKPURSESOWSEAR 
Zoe@TOPFLOORTREASURES
Carol@TOADYBOBBINS 
Clare@SILENTTHEATRE 
Sarah@APRILISFOREVER 
Ann@SOAKSENSATIONS 
Helen@HELENMCCARTNEYDESIGNS 
Toni@HOLLYPOPSCRAFTS
Joan@AUNTYJOANCRAFTS
And finally not forgetting the Sales Fairy herself....Michelle aka MISH73!!




Each and every item that I received was fantastic, great quality and well made! The shops listed are all brimming with wonderful items and every one is worth a peek! The ladies above have re-enforced the whole Folksy ethos to me, they love to craft and make, they do it well with care and attention and they are ready to help and support each other when they can! I am proud to be a part of this fantastic community!
My heartfelt Thanks to you all!!! 
Mimi x x x 



Such a wonderful array of gorgeous items! My friends couldn't wait to part with their cash!!

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely blog. I am so happy that you raised a fantastic amount of money. Having lost my dad to heart attack I am well aware of the wonderful work that the BHF do. Well done!

    Caroline x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soooooo much Caroline!
    Your brooches went down a storm they were lovely and my lovely hubby brought me one too! :D

    M x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant pics! Glad it went so well x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Eilidah! It was great fun selling all of those gorgeous goodies! Thank you for your support x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an inspiring blog post and pics too! I'm glad everything went so well with your stall (beautifully displayed) and fundraising for the BHF!

    Folksy is indeed an amazing place and I think you're amazing too!

    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. May God bless your effort to raise money for the British Heart Foundation :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uhooi,,
    Wow,, nice blog and beautiful work,,

    Uhooi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete